ViRa is the new SCUBA.
How so? Allow me to illustrate:
- require the donning of highly specialized equipment which effectively isolates one from the outside world while simultaneously enabling one to experience a new world
- are discontiguous with the normal waking world of land, gravity, humans and air.
- can expose the player to alternate realities of physics and gravity
- can expose the player to potentially dangerous physical scenarios
- rely upon modalities other than voice to communicate with fellow participants
- invoke a sense of magic and wonder amongst participants
Another solid analogue might be flight training.
What do SCUBA and Flight Training have in common? They both require significant amounts of training, and certification, prior to allowing participants to go solo on dangerous journeys. In all seriousness, we might consider a similar path for VR players; we’ve prepared some guidelines and suggestions below:
In the interest of both safety, and enjoyment, we might consider these elements to be foundational pillars for the new reality we are collectively entering into.
more to come…